Here are some eye-opening Amazon statistics, organized by the following criteria:
It’s 25 years since Jeff Bezos quit his day job and founded Amazon out of a garage in Seattle. In that time, Amazon has become a behemoth of ecommerce.
It accounts for nearly $1 in every $2 that US shoppers spend on line. And it’s made Jeff Bezos the richest man in the world, with a personal fortune of 130 billion US dollars.
Here are some facts and figures that tell the extraordinary story of Amazon.
1. Amazon Prime
- Amazon Prime members average $1,400 in spending per year, which is more than double the $600 that non-prime members spend each year (Source).
- On Prime Day in 2019, Amazon Prime members purchased more than 175 million items across 17 countries (Source).
- On Amazon Prime Day 2019, Amazon sold over 100,000 laptops, 200,000 televisions, 300,000 headphones, 350,000 luxury beauty products and more than 1 million toys (Source).
- 150 million people have Amazon Prime memberships in the US (Source).
- In January 2020, Amazon Prime Video had over 150 million subscribers, second only to Netflix with 167 million subscribers (Source).
- 1 out of every 4 adults in US has Amazon Prime (Source).
- Amazon’s share of the US Ecommerce Market is 38.7% (Source).
3. Amazon Third Party Sellers
- Amazon has 2.1 million third-party sellers currently selling on the Amazon Marketplace (Source).
- In Q1 2020, 52% of all Amazon sales came from third-party sellers on Amazon Marketplace (Source).
- In 2019 third-party sellers located in the US sold more than 4000 items per minute on Amazon (Source).
- Just under 10% of active third-party sellers achieve $100,000 in yearly sales, hile 1% of active third-party sellers achieve $1 million in sales (Source).
- There are 23,172 third-party sellers with $1 million or more in annual sales (Source).
- African Americans make up 26.5%
of Amazon employees
- Hispanic / Latinx make up 18.5% of Amazon employees
- 34.7% of Amazon employees are white
- women make up 42.7% of Amazon employees
- men make up 57.3% of Amazon employees
- In managerial roles (globally):
- women comprise 27.5% of Amazon employees
- men comprise 72.5% of Amazon employees
6. Amazon Website Traffic
- 206 million people visit Amazon every month [that’s twice as many visitors as eBay gets] (Source).
7. Amazon Products
- Amazon sells more than 12 million products (Source).
8. Amazon Consumer Behavior
- More than 55% of consumers start their online shopping searches on Amazon (Source).
- 9 out of 10 consumers price check a product on Amazon (Source)
- 89 percent of buyers agree that they’re more likely to buy products from Amazon than other ecommerce sites (Source)
- 47% of US consumers do at least a quarter of their shopping on Amazon, and 23% buy more than half of all their goods on Amazon (Source).
This post was most recently updated on September 9th, 2020